It was a beautiful, cool evening as we arrived at the fabulous "Cleveland County Fair"--watching
all the little kids just "bug-eyed" on all the various roller-coasters, swings, merry-go-round,etc.. & most of them were eating "candy apples or cotton candy", & holding on to Mama's hand! We
loved the smells of the philly-cheese steaks sizzling' with onions,peppers,BBQ with all the trimmings, plus those tasty Italian Sausages with the delicious peppers & onions, & long lines of folks just waiting to dig in! Others were devouring the "vinegar-fries", or huge elephant ear cakes with powdered sugar topping! We settled for popcorn--given out free in the exhibit hall,
(chuckle) where
we loved all the beautiful displays, my favorite was the "Giant Pumpkin" that won the lst. prize,
it could barely fit in a huge oversize wheel-barrow!! My next favorite was the flower arrangements by the various Garden Clubs in the county---the top winner was beautiful and
I would have certainly picked that one myself, if I had been lucky enough to be one of the judges! We made our way thru all the crowd down to the Giant Ferris Wheel, called the "Dutch Wheel--over 220 feet high, and hopped on after giving our 4 tickets each to the agent! Just after being seated on this huge giant wheel, it spun around & stopped on tip-top, first thing, with our seat rocking a bit--what a view--we could see all over the place & almost certainly to the top of Kings Mountain--just lovely, & of course we shared a sweet kiss, as always, on top of the
world!! They let us ride for a long time, we both loved it, & my husband said--When will they
let us off, & I said "Who cares, this is really fun"!! Then, off to the Wild West Show--The Great
American Frontier, starring Buffalo Bill, (or at least he looked like him, & his show was like his--
with the trick horse riders, the dancing horses, the covered wagon--making the fast rounds in
the ring area, as well as other fantastic western riding and music for the festive occasion! For a few moments, --- I thought I was back in Cody, Wyoming---seeing the western shows come alive!! They even had a gun-fight, and the shotgun was so loud--I jumped back!! Wow--great
fun! We also enjoyed the beautiful horses, sheep, goats, chickens, and large hog with her babies
in the animal kingdom at the fair! We saw one guy trying to hard to swing the mallat & ring the bell at top, he almost did it 3 times, but lacked the gong by 1/4 inch--Ugh! We saw folks trying
to "dunk the robber", & they did often, shooters at balloons to win the big BEAR, throwing
darts for prizes, & even a fishing booth for prizes,etc. What a grand time at the fair, we didn't
stop to play Bingo this trip, but I'm sure I would have won a prize if I had, as I was feeling very
lucky(chuckle)! We did see lots of our friends & neighbors at the fair, & enjoyed catching up on
their "news", as well as meeting new friends there! I asked a friend of mine if he had been to
the great Cleveland County Fair yet---& he said, "I haven't been in 14 years, Oh-h-h, what fun
he has missed!! If you are in town anytime soon---be sure to have some "real fun" at the fair!
"Yee-Haw--Giddy-Up-Go!! You will be glad you did, and I'm sure you will love the "Dutch Wheel" or the "Screamer" or "Wild Thing" --- it moves you!!
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I miss the Cleveland County Fair! But it was great to re-live the memories by reading your descriptions. I can almost smell the fair foods, hear the noise, and feel the atmosphere. Wow!
Post a Comment